[Tutorial] Running Cultris II on Linux

6/21/2012 9:41:46 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 344
The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent

[Tutorial] Running Cultris II on Linux

A short guide to make Cultris II work on Linux.

Tested with:

Wine 1.5.3

Fedora 3.4.2-1.fc16.x86_64 KDE spin

GForce 450GS, proprietary driver from RPM fusion, 295.59

Please give feedback for other constellations.

EDIT: Another (untested) way is using the .exe files from a windows installation of Cultris II with Wine. I'll test it eventually but the Java version seems to perform fine.

EDIT #2: It seems that the Cultris 2 installer does run now with Wine version 1.5.17 (Maybe also some earlier releases) so the Java workaround is nonessential. Sometimes the Java version seems to run a bit better, though.

To update the installation you should repeat step 2 and 3.

1. Java

Install the Windows version of Java on Wine. I use version 1.6.0 Update 33 which has platinum status on WineHQ.

2. Cultris

Download the MacOS version of Cultris. The .app is a ZIP archive which can be extracted with the tool of your choice.

The only files you need are in "Contents/Resources/Java/".

3. Librarys

The BASS, Native BASS and LWJGL librarys in the archive are compiled for MacOS. You need the Windows versions

which can be found on the Windows installation or here(extract the jar file to get the dlls). Copy them into the "Java" folder.

4. Running the game

Navigate with the terminal to the folder where the cultris2.jar file is located and run "wine java -jar cultris2.jar".

5. Troubleshooting

Has to be extended.

Ask in this thread if something isn't working.

6. Have fun :)

6/22/2012 1:01:03 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 9

Re: [Tutorial] Running Cultris II on Linux

nice workaround !

Thanks !

(tested, it works perfectly -but my fingers hurt-, wine 1.3.28, java 1.6.0_31, linux mint 12 (x86_64), nvidia GeForce GTX570, proprietary linux drivers from nvidia)

8/14/2012 11:52:40 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 25

You are the greatest!

Working like a charm!

11/11/2012 10:02:45 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 3

Re: --- [Tutorial] Running Cultris II on Linux

Thanks for this, I made an AUR package to automate this process for us arch linux users out there! :-)

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cultris2/

12/11/2012 2:02:37 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 344

Re: --- [Tutorial] Running Cultris II on Linux

First post edited!

It seems that the Cultris 2 installer does run now with Wine version 1.5.17 (Maybe also some earlier releases) so the Java workaround is nonessential. Sometimes the Java version seems to run a bit better, though.

But my experience is that Cultris 2 performs shitty at the moment with the constellation above. This is the case since the 1.3x Update I think.
I have installers from older Cultris 2 versions. If I got time, I'll investigate this problem.

1/31/2013 12:49:50 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 22

Do you think it's possible to run Cultris II with native java without Wine?

1/31/2013 9:30:23 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 344

Not without hacking the binarys.

I tried to replace all MacOS librarys (BASS, native BASS and LWJGL) with the Linux equivalents and the result was:

I don't know why this lock exists and if Cultris would run without it.

2/4/2013 1:51:41 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 22

Yeah, I was thinking in that way, thank you...

My C2 perfomance in Wine is near native but just not for proper playing, what's your performace?

5/14/2013 10:50:48 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 66
Nerd Royal!

Thanks! I thought the game will never work on linux!

6/3/2013 2:29:41 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 344

Update: It seems that theres a problem with the network function with the wine installation method. The Java+Wine method I described above seems working though. But I can't tell anything about performance and stuff.

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddishAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish
English (auto-detected) » German

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddishAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish
English (auto-detected) » German

Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services