Movement finesse

7/19/2012 11:14:36 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

Movement finesse

Today I want to talk about movement finesse. Perhaps some people haven't heard about it or don't know, what this exactly means. Main goal is to move the active piece to the desired spot as fast as possible.

1. Hold left/right to move the active piece to the left/right wall in 1 keystroke. With infinite repeat speed (and repeat delay between 4 and 5) holding is faster than tapping twice.
  2. Rotate in both directions. Why rotating 3 times when 1 time is sufficient?
  3. This point only applies to horizontal spawning directions: You'll notice, that S,Z and I pieces will move to different columns when rotating in different directions. With other words, if you rotate in the wrong direction, you'll make one keystroke too much.
  4. 2-step finesse: There are more than 1 way to describe it. I use the following: Minimize the number of keystrokes, whereas holding left/right counts as 1.5 keystrokes. That means, holding left/right and tapping in the other direction is considered faster than tapping 3 times. When you don't rotate twice, it is the same as minimizing left/right movements. I have made a fumen for up spawning directions, and another for right spawning directions. Most times, you can decide, in which order you move and rotate, but sometimes the order is fixed. Rules for right spawning directions can be summarized as follows: If you can move the active piece to the desired spot with tapping left/right twice or less, then do it! On the other hand, never tap 3 times in a row.
7/20/2012 8:41:02 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 59

Re: Movement finesse

Rules for right spawning directions can be summarized as: If you can move the active piece to the desired spot with tapping left/right twice or less, then do it! On the other hand, never tap 3 times in a row.

I think this is a good rule of thumb anyway. But what has that to do with spawning directions?

I totally agree with points 1 & 2 of yours. In my opinion rotating in both directions is the most important of all.

I am not an analyst or care to much about what people say is best. But as a player who just plays a lot (and Cultris for a long time now), I would not agree with point 3. Yes, everything you state there is correct so far. But my heretical question would be: why would you rotate in the wrong direction? How can one even rotate in a 'wrong' direction? Theres Clockwise, Counterclockwise and even Double rotation. I argue that if one plays long enough with vertical spawning positions, he won't need more keystrokes (assuming two perfect players with perfect execution).

I think you made an assumption here, which is not to read from the context. Do you count rotation and movement differently? Because 1 double rotation - depending on the block - is like 1 tap left/right. Anyway I would be interested to see any scenario where one could not achieve the same keystrokes/block with vertical spawning positions.

7/20/2012 5:14:47 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

How can one even rotate in a 'wrong' direction?

I, Z and S pieces have 2 orientations/directions, which look the same, but have different locations. Rotating to up direction instead of down, would only be helpful to navigate through a high stack. On the other hand, rotating to both left and right direction can help you to save keystrokes, see this fumen.

I think this is a good rule of thumb anyway. But what has that to do with spawning directions?

Because there are situations for horizontal (and left) spawning directions, where you can hold a key instead of doubletapping, see this fumen. For left spawning, there's also a situation 2 steps away from the right wall, where you would have to triple tap (or rotate 2 times, but why rotating 2 times to save a left/right keystroke), see this fumen.

Pieces are broader, when being horizontal, which can be used to kick pieces from walls. So, when you sum up the minimum needed keys (rotations + movements) for all possible spots and compare this for horizontal and vertical spawning, horizontal spawning will have the smaller result. But this is a naive miscalculation, because you must also consider the probabilities, with which you use a certain spot. And in Cultris you will mostly drop I,Z and S pieces vertical, so I even think vertical spawning > horizontal spawning for I,Z and S pieces.

I don't think, points 3 & 4 are that important anyway. Following them can perhaps increase your BPM by 5, but not much more.

7/20/2012 6:13:07 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 59

On the other hand, rotating to both left and right direction can help you to save keystrokes

I just realized while trying and failing with fumen - we seem to have a misunderstanding here.

Horizontal spawning directions only:

Was that a statement, or does it mean, this point only applies to horizontal spawning directions? I thought you wanted to say that horizontal > vertical because you save keystrokes. I think individual pieces would need the same total amount of key strokes if you sum up the strokes for every possible 'target-location'. The only thing to maybe turn the favor in one direction would be a statistic which shows how many times a Z / S has to be placed horizontally or vertically.

Again, referring to the first quotation. I tried every possible situation for a Z piece, and with vertical spawning I needed at most 3 keys. I, of course, completely agree that using ccw or cw with horizontal spawning orientations will not result in the same position for Z S and I. So all of you: be aware to use the right rotation key :P

7/20/2012 8:49:30 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

Yes, this was a misunderstanding. I will change my first post. Point 3 only works for horizontal spawning directions ... with a few exceptions - example: Left spawning, want to drop I or Z vertical 2 steps away from right wall -> You can doubletap and 180° rotate instead of tripletap; same number of keystrokes, but you could move and rotate simultaneously.

7/21/2012 2:25:01 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 257
“If they ever tell my story let them say I walked with giants (...) let them say I lived in the time of Achilles...”

Vertical spawning is a big disadvantage in this game :

- It's harder to survive when you're high. Most of the time you die just because the piece spawns into the field.

- You can't do all finesse movements.

10/1/2012 11:17:10 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 348
cuz my hips don't lie

@ misstake step4

You say never tap 3 times in a row, this made me wonder because my speed settings are 3;7.5 which are a bit unusual I know. But I slide everything I hate tapping I hate it from the bottom of my heart, does it actually work in my advantage just gliding all my pieces with a lower repeat?

10/2/2012 12:10:56 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

OMG you use skill stop? It's not very common, because you easily misdrop. When you want to play really fast, you must drop immediately, so you don't have the time to verify, if the piece is on the correct spot, before you drop.

What I described under 2 step finesse, assumed, that you only have 2 moves: move 1 step by tapping short left/right; move completely to the wall by holding down left/right a bit longer. Take a look at the 2 links, if you didn't understand properly, what I meant. Rules for skill stop would be: Use left/right only 1 time for each piece.

You use delay=3, speed=7.5? Can you ensure, that you don't move too far? I use delay=4, speed=infinity and I often misdrop, because I tap too long (i.e. I want to move 1 step, but end at the wall). And I don't know anybody, who uses delay less than 4.

10/2/2012 4:08:02 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 344
The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent

Don't forget that the delay setting is a bit hardware dependent.

2/26/2013 11:26:36 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 159

Great post regarding finesse. In a fast pace high intensity game like Cultris, finesse becomes more than just a concept, a true life-saver. 

However, what about more sophisticated finesse? For instance, say the current piece is a horizontal J piece and I want to place this piece 2 blocks to the right in an up-right position. What is faster, pressing right twice and then counter-rotate, or counter-rotate first and then pressing right twice? In fact, I think personally I would press twice and counter-rotate in the process, and then stopping for a milisecond to make sure I got it right.

Basically, my question is does the order of your actions matter in finesse? Is there a preferred order that saves more time than another order?

P.S. Perhaps the most crucial finesse move is the I-piece counter-rotate. Too often I see amateurs attempt to clockwise-rotate their I-piece at the critical verge of topping out and miserably fail. The fraction of a second you save from counter rotating the I-piece could very well mean the difference between death and survivial.

Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services