Twists that work with Cultris 2

12/21/2011 9:08:50 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 79

Twists that work with Cultris 2

I'm not sure how many of you are already familiar with these. I tested a bunch today, and I found that these will work*:

http://imgur.com/vcl5R

These can really come in handy when you misdrop and/or when playing swiss cheese mode.

*I ignored the i-tetromino because I'm not very good with those twists, but there are some that work.

12/21/2011 9:48:31 PM
t0x
Gravatar
Total Posts 730

Re: Twists that work with Cultris 2

12/22/2011 3:33:29 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 79

Ah, thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that.

Okay, so dslite says he thinks the kick order might be left, right, down, down-left, down-right. I think that it must check twice left and twice right before checking the down kicks. Here's why: Example.

Could one of the devs just tell us what the kick tables are?

12/22/2011 3:40:31 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 648

Left, right, 2x left, 2x right, down, left & down, right & down.

Who want's it changed? To what?

12/22/2011 5:56:14 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 79

Ah, thanks Simon. I think it would probably be more intuitive to have C2 check for down, down-left, and down-right before checking for 2x left or right. The 2x left/right is really only needed for making the I-tetromino less awkward when rotating it directly against the wall.

12/23/2011 1:01:17 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 648

Other opinions?

Left, right, down, left & down, right & down, 2x left, 2x right?

12/29/2011 6:36:23 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 648

Ok, changed it.

3/18/2012 10:45:26 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

I have not much experiences with twists, though I wonder, why you don't check down, down & left, down & right before left and right. I know, it's now similar to SRS, but many things are wrong with SRS, so it is no good reference IMHO. I don't know any common situation, where a down-kick is not desired. Checking left and right first results in some twists only working, when you have more squares filled, which doesn't make sense to me.

In Cultris 2, the S-twist only works in the left picture. IIRC in SRS-style Tetris games it also works in the other pictures, but only if you use the correct orientation before applying the spin.

T-twist only working in left picture:

J-twist only working in left picture:

Another problem is, that some kicks are very unrealistic. I can imagine, stuffing the T and S pieces in a 45° angular into the hole, but how the heck should the blue J piece fit in there?

4/8/2012 10:08:52 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

Just wanted to say, that now the twist with the S piece works in all pictures.

In the middle and right picture you have to use 180° rotation, when the S piece is in its upper horizontal orientation (that's the standard spawning orientation). Now using 180° rotation, you can fill the hole with the J piece, too. If you ask me, another reason to learn/use 180° rotation.

So 180° rotation is not the same like rotating twice. I can't see a problem, as long as 2 x down is not checked.

5/16/2012 10:37:32 AM
t0x
Gravatar
Total Posts 730

Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services