t0x
Gravatar
Total Posts 730

maserati and jes vs a deadly bot

2/26/2013 9:04:51 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 159

Re: maserati and jes vs a deadly bot

Very nice footage, truly top-tier players. I will comment the clips I enjoyed the most.

For Jes, I very much enjoyed the game at 2:35. The opening stack starts off smooth but begins to get rough following the bad O placement at 2:40. Jes is able to recover easily, however. He also performs a smart T-spin at 2:46 which saves him from topping out. The next smart move is at 3:07. His current move is a T and there is a very tempting T-hole in his stack. But if he harddrops the T then the field will become flat, and the next piece is a jagged S piece, so instead Jes fights the urge and drops T sideways, making space for S. Nice J placement at 3:13, although there is a resulting hole at first, it was still a smart conservative move that accounted well for any chances. However, I disagree with 3:16. Jes decides to end his 6 combo and place O piece to the right. But if he instead dropped O piece into hole he could've atleast gotten 8 combo easy with his next pieces. But either way, it worked out for him and defeated bot. Very impressive gameplay.

For Maserati, right off the bat I notice his unusual center 2wide style. Not sure if this is more effective than side 2wide but hey it works for him! His first game seems to end almost too easily, perhaps his opponent is slightly easier than the one Jes faced. Maserati makes a very risky placement with his I-piece at 0:22. This may have been a misdrop, but fortunately the game is over. In his next game, he makes a smart choice to hesitate and resist dropping the S-piece into the hole. Instead he combines it with the following L-piece and carries on. At 0:55, personally I would've placed the I-piece flat to the left and create a flatter field, but Maserati's way worked too. At 1:04, I would've placed the I-piece to the left of the center O-piece, because then there would be space to drop the next Z-piece. His game goes downhill from here. He makes a smart decision with Z-piece at 1:05. At 1:09 he really should've placed the Z-piece into the T-hole to the right, but instead his field is made too inflexible for the following pieces. His next game at 1:19, he makes a very sloppy opening. I dont know why he continues to use this center 2-wide method, it is much harder to stack than a regular side 2w. Nice J-placement at 1:34. I think the problem with amateurs is that they always try to avoid dropping a piece in which holes will result. But sometimes, even if a hole is made that might be the smartest option in the long run. Pros are aware of this and play watching the big picture, predicting how the field will eventualy flatten out given the probability of coming pieces. Impressive. Then at 1:38, a perfect opportunity for Tspin Triple! I would've placed the J-piece standing upright to the far right, and then placed the Z-piece to the left to create the tspin hook. And then the following T-piece would've very nicely downstacked and create better field. 1:48 he should've just placed the L-piece to the far left like his first impulse. From 2:05 on, he shows fantastic downstacking that keeps his survival. He makes an especially great recovery at 2:26 starting with that smart J-placement, all the way until 2:39 with the bad I-placement. Great upside down T-placement at 3:33 which enables easy line clear. Maserati defeats his opponent fairly easy this round. 

All in all, fantastic videos that show truly top-notch gameplay. Thank you for sharing.

2/27/2013 9:19:45 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 513

Then at 1:38, a perfect opportunity for Tspin Triple! I would've placed the J-piece standing upright to the far right, and then placed the Z-piece to the left to create the tspin hook. And then the following T-piece would've very nicely downstacked and create better field.

You think too much the guideline way. It's possible you have to wait 50 pieces until the next T piece will appear. Then you have 1 preview only, so you'd would have to hesitate to make a smart move, which wouldn't be so smart itself. And last but not least, there's no way to clear 3 lines at a single blow with T, S or Z pieces. That's only possible, if the center of those pieces is kicked two rows down. You never have to create an overhang to perform a twist, because pieces are not kicked towards the top. Cultris tests left, right, down, down&left, down&right, 2xleft, 2xright (perhaps down first in a future version).

2/27/2013 3:50:06 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 159

haha you caught me red-handed! after playing guideline tetris all my life, one of my biggest problems in C2 is my excessive dependence on the T-piece. Problem is, I always end up miscalculating the probability of T and end up failing :/ thank you for pointing this flaw out, I'll work to improve my piece independency ;)