40 Lines

5/2/2013 11:24:30 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 257
“If they ever tell my story let them say I walked with giants (...) let them say I lived in the time of Achilles...”

40 Lines

Hi,

When I look at the top scores of the challenge, I see guys like blink or maserati who can go sub 25 in other games like nullpomino.

2 questions :

- Why it's so hard to get sub 30 in cultris 2 : 1 preview ? What else ?

- What time a player like me (around 32s) should be able to get in nullpomino or a faster game with a few practice ? Can one of the supergeek of cultris like caffeine or misstake ( that's nice ! :) ) make a scale of equivalence ?

See you !

5/3/2013 2:10:21 AM
VIP
Gravatar
Total Posts 82

Re: 40 Lines

mostly limited by the previews. the randomizer would cause you to have to restart more games.

It depends for me i'm about 1second faster on nullpo.  maserati is 7 seconds faster on blockbox.

I think most ppl average about 5seconds faster.

i think under is slower on nullpo since he hasn't practiced the mode with more previews.

More previews allows you to front load decisions so there is less break in between, you'll also likely be able to stack in a way that  requires less key presses.

5/3/2013 7:11:28 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

Super Geeks unite! ... Oh too late. VIP said already everything notable. It's a combination of previews and randomizer, majorly the previews. With more previews you are able to minimize the time to react to your current/active piece, keeping a continous flow.

Bag randomizer (first 7 pieces are pairwise distinct, same holds for next 7 pieces and so on) allows you to stack in a way (e.g. 40 lines with 10 Tetrises), which is not possible in Cultris. It's less a challenge to stack, so you can focus more on speed. Moreover, you'll need less pieces in average to end the game.

My best in Cultris is 39.06 seconds (I could get 38.xx when I tried more), my best with bag randomizer and 2 previews is 34.26 seconds. Everything beyond 2 previews makes me slower.

What time a player like me (around 32s) should be able to get in nullpomino or a faster game with a few practice ?

It's not few practice. Getting used to more previews (that means using them properly) is more difficult than you might think. Let's take Extruder as example. Currently 37.xx seconds in Cultris, but still much slower in NullpoMino. With sufficient practice you would improve your time by at least 3 seconds.

5/3/2013 7:45:51 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 48

I completely agree. Having previews doesn't guarantee you'll immediately get faster; it takes practice and dedication. I'm mechanically faster in Cultris 2, because I've taken a liking to its DAS settings and overall faster pace.

I'm not sure I would be able to somehow surpass my c2 sprint records by a lot with Nullpo: it would take me too much time to get used to sprint with several previews, and I currently don't play net-play much, that means my Maserati practice is more useful for versus games than the Line Race. The opposite works for active Nullpo users.

P.S. Jtadore has mentioned that he's going to beat 30.00 mark there. That's very much possible.

5/3/2013 8:09:21 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 174

but i think i have to change my blocks settings for do it.

horizontal pattern rulez for stack.

5/3/2013 4:52:16 PM
VIP
Gravatar
Total Posts 82

it is possible to change the starting orientation to one that is similar to cultris II.

You have to edit that in the rule editor.

5/3/2013 7:47:21 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

Wait ... which challenge did Jtadore accept? Sub 30 in Cultris or NullpoMino? Yeah, you can also use vertical spawning directions in NullpoMino. I made a post before, where I explained how to do it. Here again:

Creating the rule:

• Start ruleeditor.bat
  • File -> Open -> StandardZero.rul
  • File -> Save As -> Cultris.rul
  • Basic Tab:
  • Rule name -> Cultris
  • # of piece preview -> 2 (optional)
  • Color Tab: choose the same colors as in Cultris
  • (The different letters stand for the different pieces. In Cultris' Advanced settings window, it's from left to right: O,I,L,J,S,Z,T)
  • Direction Tab: choose the same spawning orientations as in Cultris
  • Spawn Tab:
  • Y spawn offset -> set all values to -2 (optional)
  • X spawn offset -> if you use left or right as spawning orientation for a certain piece, then set all values in the corresponding row to -1
  • Move tab:
  • Check: Prevent DAS movement until drop key is lifted (optional)
  • Uncheck: Allow piece movement in that frame that piece spawns (optional)

Using the rule:

• Start NullpoMino.exe
  • Options -> Rule Select(1P) -> Tetromino -> Cultris
  • Start -> Line race (or Dig race) -> Current rule
  • Use a gravity of 0. DAS should be between 5 and 8 (corresponds to Delay In Cultris' Advanced settings window)

There are some other options you might want to change. You can change the way, how previews are shown. It's Next Display Type under [General Options]. I use side(big). I also suggest to turn off the line clear effect there. In [Keyboard Settings], UP means harddrop, DOWN = softdrop, B = rotate clockwise, A = ccw rotate, E = 180° rotate. Also set a key for RETRY.

5/4/2013 7:44:19 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 174

sub30 in cultris.. but finaly i think vertical pattern is the best for me.. i only need a good sequence of blocks (like always)

5/4/2013 1:12:10 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 348
cuz my hips don't lie

I prefer a bad sequence of blocks.

6/22/2013 11:29:09 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 174

sub30.... check

Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services