James clewett's

5/9/2013 1:03:35 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 348
cuz my hips don't lie

James clewett's

Why has James Clewett's been changed? It makes no sense.

5/9/2013 11:18:28 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

Re: James clewett's

before: clear as many Tetrises (4 lines at once) as possible within 200 lines.

now: clear as many Tetrises as possible before you make a different line clear (< 4 lines)

Caffeine made this suggestion a while back and most beta testers (who majorly don't play James Clewett's BTW) agreed.  That's why. I was the only one who disagreed:

• The reference to James Clewett goes missing.
  • You might encounter line piece droughts, which kill you through no fault of your own.
  • Marathon players (like me) know, that sometimes you have to skim (sacrifice lines) to not end up in a bad situation. Now you just take the risk, otherwise the game would end.
  • There was already enough battle for the top spot by using fractional Tetrises (last Tetris might not count as 1) and using times as second basis for ranking.
5/9/2013 11:35:23 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 348
cuz my hips don't lie

Sorry I didn't know that it was most tetrisses till another clear. It is a shame that the james clewetts reference is gone, I like the guy.

5/9/2013 11:40:45 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

I forgot to mention: Highscores will be changed soon. I am not sure what Simon tends to do with the < 50 Tetrises records, perhaps he will delete them.

5/12/2013 1:24:39 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 79

"It makes no sense."

That's a good point. The rules aren't explained in-game. Players will probably become confused when they clear a single, double, or triple and the game abruptly ends. The pre-game screen should say something like "How many Tetrises in a row can you make? Clearing anything but a Tetris will end the game!" The end-game prompt also needs to be rewritten.

I suggested this because I believe players will find it more interesting, and it'll have more lasting appeal. Don't get me wrong, 50 Tetrises in a row is extremely difficult. However, given a particularly finite amount of time and effort, many players are capable of it. That means eventually the leaderboard will be filled with maxed-out 50 Tetris runs. In the end, it comes down to who can do 50 the fastest. Speed is interesting in its own right, but if I want to compete in speed, I can already do that in every other mode. The new rule rewards players who can make the smartest stacking decisions.

You may encounter piece droughts, but this still comes up even with the old rule. Perhaps a modified randomizer is in order (after x pieces, the drought will always end). Skimming is indeed an interesting skill that the new rule no longer rewards. However, skimming is already rewarded in many other modes. I think the pros of the new rule (needing extremely good fundamentals of how to put pieces together to maintain field stability) outweigh the cons of no longer rewarding skimming. Lastly, I believe, even with the rule change, Mr. Clewetts would still understand the reference and think the game is interesting.

5/12/2013 2:27:52 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 219

yet only 8 people have done it so far ? I disagree with you on this caffeine, I think the previous rules were better, because to me challenges are mini-games you can at least get a high score on, on your first attempt, and then try to make this high-score better, so that everyone can place him/herself compared to the community.

For Mini games that are hard to complete on your first try, I'd rather stick them in the Training>Challenge section.

5/12/2013 3:07:59 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 79

Why wouldn't you be able to create a "first" high score on clewett's now?
5/12/2013 3:21:19 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 219

oh sorry i thought you didnt get a high score if you didnt do 50 tetrises

5/12/2013 8:16:07 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

My problem is, that it becomes just another "max out risk - if fail -> restart" challenge as there are already sprint (maserati), dig race (cheese) and ultra (19.6 mu fortnight). If you play Marathon, your goal should be to get a good score, not implicitly beat your own highscore. I can imagine, some people tried to max out average number of Tetrises made in a game (without restarting) and not to get 50 explicitly. Now I wouldn't want to play James Clewett's again after I get a decent highscore.

5/12/2013 4:16:55 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 79

I feel just the opposite. With the old rule, after 50 you're "done." There's little motivation to play more after that.

Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services