[Suggestion] Prevent autorepeat until drop key is lifted

8/3/2013 10:32:18 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

[Suggestion] Prevent autorepeat until drop key is lifted

I know this from NullpoMino. I would like to see such an option in the advanced player settings (similar to the swooshes check mark). If you don't know what I mean:

Let's say you have stacked for a combo (right side is empty). You hold down Right movement key. After a while, the active piece will be on the right wall. Now you hold down Drop key but don't release Right yet. The next piece will stay where it spawned, because Drop key is still pressed. Now you can choose where to drop the piece. If you choose the right side, you just have to release Drop key and autorepeat will immeaditely take place (autorepeat delay doesn't matter). If you want to drop it in the middle, you just have to release Right before Drop.

8/3/2013 12:00:40 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 142

Re: [Suggestion] Prevent autorepeat until drop key is lifted

i dont see the point why it would help to be faster or anything cause it will be very unlikely that you can just put a piece how it is down on your stack or in the gap. 

8/3/2013 1:19:38 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

Of course it is not a big thing, but it can be handy from time to time.

Major use is side-stacked combos. If you want to play really fast (thus have a bigger chance for a good combo), you have to keep Left/Right movement key pressed while dropping. But sometimes you will notice, dropping the current piece there  (e.g. S piece on a 3 wide) will screw the continuation of your combo. If there is no place for the piece on the opposite wall, you'll end up tapping 4 or 5 times to get back to the middle.

Another point is using finesse (reducing keystrokes) by not releasing Left/Right while dropping pieces (diagonal movement). For example stacking Tetrises/quadruples in Maserati mode. Diagonal Movement is very hard to do in Cultris (1 preview), I would even say it's useless.

Another point is avoiding diagonal movement. Sometimes, my next piece unintentionally ends up on a wall because I released Left/Right too late.

8/4/2013 7:43:34 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 142

i see your point how it could be useful but i dont really think that many player will use it. Because it wont make a lot of difference to the playing as it is right now only that it will take a lot of time to get used to it and then you play may 5 to 10 bpm faster 

8/8/2013 6:15:38 PM
VIP
Gravatar
Total Posts 82

I use to use this setting in nullpomino.

I think it's the most useful for users who use the infinity setting because there isn't any "slow down" when this feature is in play.  On the other setting their pieces move a little bit later.

Some players did not like this setting at all.  I think because visually, there was a disconnect between their keypress and how the piece looked on the screen.

If you really want to try out this setting i'm sure Misstake will post a autohotkey setting for it soon :), but i think new users will be confused on what this setting is.

8/8/2013 9:47:21 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

If you really want to try out this setting i'm sure Misstake will post a autohotkey setting for it soon :), but i think new users will be confused on what this setting is.

There's no way to do this with AHK on current Cultris 2. But you can simulate this behaviour on older C2 versions (like I did here). I don't recommend to use the following instructions, I just post them for the sake of completeness.

• Dowload Cultris II 1.1c from here
  • Use this AutoHotKey script (you will need AHK knowledge to change keys)
  • Set key delay to as long as possible in your Windows keyboard settings (repeat speed doesn't matter)

In NullpoMino there's no rule with that behaviour. You have to use ruleeditor.bat to change a rule to use Prevent DAS movement until drop key is lifted, which can be found in Move tab. I think not many people use it simply for the reason that they don't know that it exists.

Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services