[Suggestion] Graphic settings for slower/older computers

9/10/2013 11:27:10 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 25

[Suggestion] Graphic settings for slower/older computers

It would be awesome if you could get a tick-box in options for this. Remove all the transparency effects and lightnings from sending/recieving... maybe other stuff aswell, but that's the first 2 that comes to mind.

If you have a GFX card that can hardware accelerate all that stuff the game runs fine, but as soon as you don't you can just forget playing above 100BMP on even terms.

9/10/2013 3:51:28 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 159

Re: [Suggestion] Graphic settings for slower/older computers

wuts good profane

9/10/2013 5:58:50 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

I agree with this proposal.

9/10/2013 9:42:27 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 648

It would be awesome if you could get a tick-box in options for this. Remove all the transparency effects and lightnings from sending/recieving... maybe other stuff aswell, but that's the first 2 that comes to mind.

If you have a GFX card that can hardware accelerate all that stuff the game runs fine, but as soon as you don't you can just forget playing above 100BMP on even terms.

Interesting. This suggestion comes up every year... :)

Thing is: Rendering swooshes doesn't take all that much power. And you can already disable that (Options -> Video -> Show swooshes). Transparency also isn't that expensive in the C2 case. Also, if your GPU wouldn't accelerate you couldn't even play C2 at 640x480 smoothly. If you have a graphics card that's no older than 10 years or so you should be fine. If it doesn't run smoothly:

1. Install recent drivers
  2. Tell me what hardware you have

Adios!

9/10/2013 10:18:25 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

If I play under Win XP, I get problems with autorepeat, because my graphics driver sucks. No problems at all under Win 7. An option to disable the background waves would be neat. Fireworks are even more graphics-hungry.

9/11/2013 11:19:15 AM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 210

What would be nice though is if it could work better with windows 8 though. When i got my new computer i had huge problems at first with not being able to make cultris run properly. After numerous test i found that the only thing that works is playing fullscreen and at a low resolution. I know for a fact it has nothing to do with my computer, as it is much faster than my old one, and it doesnt change anything if i have tons of things running in the background or not, or even which of my two graphics cards i use (theres an onboard one and a 2gb nvidia card in it)

From what i hear from someone who knows more about it than me, it is somehow cultris interaction with aero that makes it work bad, which you cant disable in windows 8 in any other way than by fullscreening, like you could in windows 7.

Actually means i dont play as much, cause having to fullscreen sucks, as you cant really do more things at the same time, which is how i would usually play cultris (stream, skype, youtube - that sort of stuff)

9/11/2013 1:16:43 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 25

Interesting. This suggestion comes up every year... :)

Thing is: Rendering swooshes doesn't take all that much power. And you can already disable that (Options -> Video -> Show swooshes). Transparency also isn't that expensive in the C2 case. Also, if your GPU wouldn't accelerate you couldn't even play C2 at 640x480 smoothly. If you have a graphics card that's no older than 10 years or so you should be fine. If it doesn't run smoothly:

Install recent drivers
Tell me what hardware you have

Adios!

Nice with the swooshes, didn't know. Must have sneaked into the options without me noticing. Anyways... I've been playing the game on alot of different computers over the last few years and in my experience it's an exception to find a comp where the game runs full speed without the computer holding a separate GFX card with somewhat more juice then the average Joe comp.

At the moment I play mostly on a laptop with a core duo i7 and a integrated Intel graphics 4000 card. Runs ok, but not smoothly. I avg 15-20 BMP slower on this compared to a comp where the game runs full speed and I think what puts you off most is the fact that the feel of the game gets more sluggish and the pieces (atleast from my personal experience) has a tendency to get stuck easier when your stack get really high.

Updated to latest drivers recently with no change in performance.

9/11/2013 5:33:08 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 648

Humm... I'm developing on Win8.1 with a Intel HD 4000 card at the moment. Works fine for me (though I'm a slow player). I can play C2 at a steady 60fps at 1920x1080. Are you both 100000000% sure that you have current OpenGL drivers? Also, what framerates do you see? (Press F8)

9/12/2013 6:28:13 AM
VIP
Gravatar
Total Posts 82

Full screen on old computers / notebooks seem to work pretty well for me.

9/12/2013 9:40:05 AM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 210

For slower players it shouldn't matter as much. What it does is make me play around 15-20 bpm slower. I know it might not sound as a ton, but it makes me win a looot less against good players. I have all the newest drivers, so that can't really be the problem. Also i told a couple of others with windows 8 about it, and they feel the same thing (one felt it was too fast like that though, so she went back). fullscreen and 1280*800 just seems to run faster.
The problem is not of fps, I get a steady 121-122 ish always when i play. It is also not glitches per se, the amount of misdrops are around the same. The sideways speed is simply slower, so it is pretty much impossible to play as fast, feels like i have to "drag" the pieces to the sides. 
I know it might sound like a psychological effect, cause of course it will seem to move faster when the screen is bigger, but i do get consistantly lower bpms, and as i said i did play windowed on my old computer. I will see if i can find a few more people with win 8, back when i got it, pretty much noone else did, so it was pretty difficult to find people fast enough that it would matter and with win 8. 

Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services