Cultris II Don Demarco Edition

10/5/2013 9:36:25 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 4

Cultris II Don Demarco Edition

Is it possible to customize the game's sound effects? I have attached a link to the sound files if anyone out there can help me. I would like the horn to play during every line clear, and the Don Demarco sound effect to play during a 10 combo.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yfihih

It's all right if this isn't possible. Thanks for reading. 

10/5/2013 9:52:03 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

Re: Cultris II Don Demarco Edition

Sorry, it is impossible to change the sounds in the Windows version. (It's probably possible in the OS X version though)

10/7/2013 10:46:11 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 344
The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent

Yup thats it. Here's a short guide for it. (I couldn't test it yet so there is a chance that it isn't working, thought. There could be some file integrity checking on runtime.)

Please note that this is hacking the game ressources so please don't expect any support of the developer for this.

Well, here we go:

Just download the MacOS version and extract the files in some folder. Navigate to

Cultris.app>Contents>Resources>Java

There you can find a file named "cultris2.jar". You can extract the contents using a archive manager like 7zip.

In the "Data" folder are all static game ressources like sounds and images. The 10-combo sound is "exp-14.ogg". If you want to replace it, you should convert your file to this format. (Have a look at the codec info of the file to ensure compatibility of your file)

To get your modded file into the jar archive again, I recommend the following way:

Create a new folder named "data" in the folder where the cultris2.jar file is.

Place your modded file into that folder.

Open a console window and navigate to the folder (In Win7 you just can holt shift and right-click and choose "open command line here", maybe works with other win versions as well)

If you don't already have the Java Development Kit (JDK) installed, please do it now.

In the console, execute "jar uvf cultris2.jar data".

In this way you can make sure that the jar file is working properly with java.

To run the game, pleace remove all .dylib files and extract the .dll files from here

In the console, run "java -jar cultris2.jar".

Cultris 2 should start now.

To open it without a console, put the command into a file with the ending .bat.

Some parts of this guide are untested, just wrote this stuff down in a few minutes...

10/8/2013 7:44:57 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

I tried it out and could could follow your steps, Noir. The only problem with your instruction is that you can't extract cultris2.jar, because the obfuscated code creates files which overwrite each other in Windows (e.g. a.class and A.class). But using WinRAR to replace certain files in the archive worked (7-Zip failed though). Windows.jar.lmza must be unpacked twice (first time with 7-Zip).

Do you think using the OS X version instead of the Windows version will have influence on the performance of Cultris?

10/8/2013 10:41:47 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 344
The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent

Oh I see. Linux distinguishes between upper and lower case so there's no problem on this platform.

I would be careful with using an archiv manager to pack jar files, though. If something isn't working, try the jar tool from JDK.

I already tried the MacOS version under Windows some months ago but I couldn't notice some performance changes. Since Excelsior JET makes some performance tweaks, the Windows version could theoretically perform better. (But im not sure, the MacOS version could be also optimized by Excelsior at least on bytecode level) But it's worth a try if all other performance tweaks don't work.

It's kinda funny that there are so much performance issues with such a simple* game.

*Simple, compared with other power hungry games

10/9/2013 9:15:06 AM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 210

I think the performances issues are mostly due to the fact that you just need it to run insanely smoothly. The lag you get here would be unnoticable in most games, but for extreme high speed tetris it is suddenly important.

10/9/2013 9:27:29 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

It's kinda funny that there are so much performance issues with such a simple* game.

*Simple, compared with other power hungry games

I think, one problem is that Tetris is rather one of those games which is played by people not having high end PCs. On the same time, it can be played pretty fast. So it's essential that the Tetris games captures your keystrokes precisely.

OpenGL can cause problems on those small notebooks that don't have good graphics card. In my case, it must be the Win XP graphics driver that sucks. Cultris 2 runs smooth on Win 7 if I disable Aero (shortcut properties -> disable Desktop composition). The weird thing is that Java runs smoother on Win XP for me (must be because of 32 bit) but Cultris doesn't.

Disclaimer: I whine on a high level. Frame rate is fine for me in a < 5 player room. It's just that the length of keystrokes isn't captured precisely. I can use delay 4.5 on Win 7, but when I use it on Win XP the pieces fly to the wall when it is not intended.

10/9/2013 11:52:23 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 4

I'm kind of retarded, is there anyone kind enough to bundle it up nicely for me?

10/10/2013 10:46:36 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

Here you go

You start the program by doubleclicking CultrisStarter.bat. Another way to start the program is by letting the file extension *.jar  be opened with Java per default (advantage: no command prompt). However, I don't know any way to disable Aero by just starting this Cultris edition.

I made the 10 combo sound louder. Horns are quieter and mixed with standard line clear sound. The horn sound is too long in my opinion.

edit: Somehow upload didn't work properly. Try again if it failed previously.

10/10/2013 11:17:02 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 4

God dayum! Thank you, mISStAKE, this is absolutely perfect!

Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services