Add an option to disable the background

10/6/2013 12:37:06 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 3

Add an option to disable the background

Yes, yes, I know, this has been suggested before. But I want this in really badly now.  Normally, I get 40fps in-game, no matter how many opponents there are. I just figured that was my computer being retarded, or the game being poorly optimized.

So I beat the Grande Finale, and the background gets replaced by those fireworks.

My framerate jumped to 120fps.

Now, I don't know about you, but when I can triple my framerate simply by disabling a bit of fluff, that's a pretty big deal. That 40fps was lagging my input a bit, and I noticed that when it went to 120, my gameplay immediately got faster and had less misdrops in it. That's a really big deal.

Seriously, add the thing in. I can't imagine it taking that long, and people like me would like their blocks to not lag around and misdrop like crazy because the background's sucking away 67% of their framerate (no kidding).

10/6/2013 5:48:27 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 159

Re: Add an option to disable the background

Call me a cynic, but I find it hard to believe a simple change in background animation can result in a 200% performance increase. As far as I can tell both the fireworks and standard animations aren't dynamic/responsive like PS3 Tetris, so there really shouldn't be a difference.

10/6/2013 9:32:23 AM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 210

I do know that some people change the date on their computer to august 1st(I think thats the date, not sure), cause it has the firework background instead, and they claim that it runs better that way. For myself i can't really test it out as my pc is awesome, but you can try it and screenshot your fps difference between one and the other in case there is a difference and post it here. In case there is, it should be a good argument for the option to disable the background.

*edit*

in case youre wondering it has the fireworks background because its the Swizz national day

10/6/2013 11:59:11 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 39

I am the guy who changes the date to get a better perfomance in C2. IN MY CASE it helps although I cant provide evidence. Just try out yourself. But it would be really nice to have a feature to turn off the background.

10/6/2013 9:12:29 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 3

Call me a cynic, but I find it hard to believe a simple change in background animation can result in a 200% performance increase.

And call me crazy, but when a simple background change makes a game feel twice as responsive, that's a sign that an option to disable the background is a good thing.

Also, turns out the FPS counter in Cultris is unreliable, reporting 120fps when dxtory says 60; dxtory's FPS counter showed differences of 40fps and 60fps, which is a 33% increase (still a very significant change).

10/6/2013 11:16:13 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 159

Also, turns out the FPS counter in Cultris is unreliable, reporting 120fps when dxtory says 60; dxtory's FPS counter showed differences of 40fps and 60fps, which is a 33% increase 

And thus my initial cynicism. You should follow the date adjustment technique mentioned earlier.

10/7/2013 8:48:27 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

I also vote for a disable background option. Funny thing, on my computer the wave animation is faster than the fireworks and snow animations.

10/7/2013 11:00:41 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 344
The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent

Simon, for a first test you could add a F shortcut or a command line switch for this feature. If it has a positive effect on some machines, you could implement a menu option for turning it off permanently.

10/7/2013 9:42:49 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 348
cuz my hips don't lie

I vote this up, my pc runs smooth on both. But on my dad's c2 is pretty laggy and when I get fireworks background it runs smoother than it did before.

Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services