computer low on memory

5/7/2014 8:15:29 PM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 210

computer low on memory

So. Since i got windows 8.1 update 1 i got a weird problem. Sometimes when i play cultris in fullscreen i will get a message that my computer is low on memory and i have to shut down programs not to lose data. Thing is that it cant really be true (unless it for some reason use waaay excess memory), as i didnt have the problem before 8.1, and it doesnt happen with way more memory heavy games.

Anyone know anything about this problem?

Jes

5/7/2014 10:01:48 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 344
The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent

Re: computer low on memory

What does the task manager say?

There should be something like a performance graph.

5/8/2014 4:34:17 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 49

Woah, I get this problem every time I play C2 with windows 8.1... You're not alone...

5/8/2014 9:19:53 PM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 210

there is quite a heavy spike in CPU usage on the graph. I find it pretty weird as i used to get better performance running it on once core when i have a quad core with multithreading, and now i run on all 8 cores :/

5/8/2014 10:04:13 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 344
The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent

Have a look at the tool process explorer. You can see detailed (performance) data about a single process by double clicking it. It could be interesting how the CPU and RAM graphs proceed in relation to the ingame activities.

5/9/2014 12:25:54 PM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 210

ok so. It seems to be the GPU that cant really keep up. I have two graphics processors on my pc, an onboard Intel one, and a 2 gb geforce card, which is pretty decent. 

When i use the onboard card, it uses all the GPU and crashes somewhen, whereas if i use the geforce GPU it does not crash but lags horribly (which is weird considering how much faster the graphics card is). Also even with the high performance card it actually uses 50% of the memory, which also seems excessive. 

THe other thing is that the onboard card should actually be able to run it, considering that it could on win7, so there clearly is some sort of compability issue.

5/9/2014 2:47:24 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 648

Can anybody measure the actual memory consumption (hard facts)? Working set, peak working set, VM, etc. - ideally all as graphs up to a crash?

I cannot reproduce the problem and I run Win 8.1.

5/9/2014 5:17:21 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 23

Does this happen in windowed mode too? 

5/9/2014 9:27:20 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 44
Capitan Mexico

Windows 8, is just very buggy.

Its weird that Simon doesn't have issues while Jkwon and Jes have...

I suggest you unintall window 8 and install windows 7, takes time, but not as long as fixing all the things windows 8 fails at doing.

Just my thoughts

5/9/2014 9:30:35 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 102

I've never had problems with win 8, not before nor after i installed win 8.1. Edit: might add that i never play fullscreen (if that matters)
Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services