I was wondering about the low attendance on quickfires, and wanted to map the main reasons people are not joining. Please if you didn't participate, indicate why. If you have other reason than the ones listed, please specify.
The idea is to have more people participating. Can vote here: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll265564xf51a4424-10
In case of 1vs1 I feel like I am not good enough. And I say that as a rank 50 player. I try to participate in the team matches, but I couldn't make it to them often in the past.
The reason for my reply: I am not 100% satisfied by the format of the 2 most recent 1vs1 quickfires ( http://challonge.com/C2QuickfireMar8 , http://cultris.challonge.com/c2qf_150301 ). It's been Single Elimination. For me personally, this means I would play 1 or 2 matches, and that's not reason enough for me to be online at the specified time. I want to play close matches.
The alternatives would be Double Elimination and Swiss System. The problem with Double Elimination is that the Loser Bracket takes 2 times longer than the Winner Bracket. The problem with Swiss System is that people will have problems knowing their next opponent (in Single and Double Elimination the earlier finisher must just spectate another 1vs1 to see his/her next opponent).
All in all I think the best 1vs1 quickfire format would be: 4 rounds of Swiss System (i.e. everyone plays 4 matches), followed by play-offs of the best 4 players (semi-finals & finals, the 4 players are seeded by the results of the Swiss System).
I participated in the 1v1. Sadly i had to go in the middle, but that was definitely not cause i didnt want to play, but simply that i couldnt stay.
Besides that i think different formats suit different people. Cheese is very random to me, so i dont like that. A lot of people wont like the 1v1 formate because a lot of very good players join and just wreck them round 1.
I have a feeling the format that would suit the most players is probably 2v2, as even if you arent top 10, you can still battle it with the rest and have a chance to move on some rounds.
I dont like the idea of it being double elimination ever though, as it already takes quite a long time and if it took longer i would pretty much not join ever.
Usually if there are much people in Cultris II for things like Tournaments,i get Lag and cant play.
The Idea is good, but the Cultris II Server cant handle it.
Its confusing, the Server is located at Germany and i get Disconnects today only from Cultris II Server.
All another stuff works. I think there is simply bad Router/Routing, cause if you have someone from far away depending on your own location, you will lag like hell, cause he simply cant a fast route.
Right now, i have issues with Connecting and playing at Cultris II Server, i cant play.
There was a Donation form in the past, i wonder if Simon ever upgraded, he did say he do, if he already did, it didn't help at all.
In General, i have very good Internet (Coaxial) from KabelBw, 116 Mbit/s Down, and 5,2Mbit/s up,
and the Ping to Gewaltig.net its 40ms in average.
- 1on1 usually has too many good players: One idea would be to make a quickfire 1on1 where top players can't attend. We just can't find a definite rule as to which players are considered top players and which are not and if we take out the top players, would there be enough players playing in it? Also the 2on2 with balanced teams might be interesting, since it was done before by lei/vip.
- single elimination has less matches: that is true, but we thought about making it fast max 1h. but i personally like the swiss 4 rounds then playoffs - similar to tetrinet supacup. we could do this format once in a while, since it would take more than 2h to run it.
- Schedule: we try to accommodate all timezones, so from america to asia people can play. i think we need to study better what time would be better. I think yesterday's (march 14th) cheese qf had a good starting time, but not many people participated - also because it was cheese maybe.
- Connection: u r not the first person to say you're having bad connection defenz0r. unfortunatelly it's something only simon could fix... but since u have low latency with gewaltig (mine is like 250ms), i wonder if the problem is really connection.
- History: qf history should be registered somewhere, as to all the matches results and who won 1st, 2nd and 3rd. And some kind of general ranking for 1on1 and 2on2. any ideas on this?
Its really a Connectivity problem, i get Disconnects while having low latency.
The weird thing about this is, other people wont get disconnect from same Region, maybe other Internet Service Provider but lower/higher latency.
If i get disconnects i still can visit other Internet Websites, but cant connect to the Cultris II Servers.
I guess its cause Socket programming and Routing.
I know other Players have problems too, but its obviously, if players like winter join my room, and i can't play anymore as good as before, the Server dont know how to transfer the data from Korea - to me Germany and from Germany to Korea.
The route is just bad or there are much collisions in the Net.
i enjoy quickfires in general compared to long drawn-out tournaments :)
i think team play is more fun and less predictable, but i can understand if not everybody feels that way. i would also say that scheduling team matches in advance seems like it never works out, but in quickfire setting it is piece of cake.
you might get a better idea of all people willing to quickfire if you made a commitment to the concept:
- you can't get mad and call off the whole thing if you have one bad turnout. do them every weekend for...let's say 4 weeks straight.
- go pester people to signup and go raise hype for spectators (hard drop & streaming can help with this)
- these spectators might be future participants after seeing a quickfire and how easy it is to signup and how fun it is (this is another reason for teams, you can draw in more novice players)
my point here is some people don't always exactly know what they might be doing on any given saturday sunday, but if they know the quickfire train will be waiting there, they are happy to jump on if their schedule is free.
or maybe this is just me :D
EDIT: maybe quickfire is already doing some of these things, but i guess just had that rant saved up from a prior time :P
I don't participate because I don't like you Undy.
Also I think sunday is a better time for quickfire since you are more likely to stay at home on sunday...
Unfortunately Sunday is a lot harder for me since Sunday for you is Monday morning 1am for me. (4AM in the 1st week)