more players in tournaments back then

5/2/2015 5:24:58 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 88

more players in tournaments back then

http://images.challonge.com/c2springtourney.png

i just saw this challonge chart in my facebook.  were there a lot more players back then?

5/2/2015 6:57:25 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 11

Re: more players in tournaments back then

Tetris is dying! D;

5/2/2015 9:28:31 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

were there a lot more players back then?

There weren't really more players. The community was just more active.

When Cultris 2 was released, Hard Drop held HDO5 in March 2011. Afterwards, C2 was almost dead for a half year. Then new players came in (mostly European) and there were around twenty-ish people online in the European evening. The European playerbase pretty much stagnated afterwards.

Cultris Spring Tournament was held in April to June 2012. It's been the first C2 tournament since over a year (Hard Drop promised one but it never happened, so t0x jumped in) and it was the first tournament for most participants, which explains the big interest (I think half of the participants had a wrong imagination of how a tournament works). At that time, the Team Match thingy was going and the forum was more active (people believed in updates, but alas). And the organizer t0x was a well-known player (from Cultris 1).

5/4/2015 12:49:28 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 60

I felt like the game generally felt slightly more active as time passed. Players also weren't as good back then.

5/4/2015 6:02:13 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 150
How hard can it be?

Ahthe spring toutournament. My very first. Leilickan the destroyer of dreams that day
5/4/2015 9:45:41 AM
t0x
Gravatar
Total Posts 730

(I think half of the participants had a wrong imagination of how a tournament works)

misstake is pretty much right. we DID have a lot of participants back then, the reasons were:
- we advertised a lot (on c2, a LOT of times ingame, asking every single player / on harddrop / asking ppl to ask other ppl)
- players back then knew each other (from c1 or harddrop)
- players didnt really know what they were getting into

it was kind of a chaos, we had to disqualify quite some ppl who didnt show up, and we had a lot of work to organize games for ppl who "werent able to".

all in all i would say that there s more active ppl around now than in those times, but the ppl playing dont know each other as well (also maybe cause of the big amount of asian players who cant speak english)

5/4/2015 9:54:18 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 102

Lol Kastle ♡ That was also my very first! I sucked back then so much, i think i still played with single rotation lol
5/4/2015 10:37:44 AM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 210

I think most certainly that one of the reasons less people join is that its often just a bitch to schedule with people, or you have to wait for weeks before someone else get their rounds finish, or you have to play at 2 am because youre the only one who is willing to show any degree of flexibility. All in all, some players just learned that it actually feels more like "work" to be in a tournament, something you have to plan around, instead of just the casual fun experience it should be. At least that is why im unsure if i wanna bother joining the upcoming ICL

5/4/2015 11:18:58 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 150
How hard can it be?

My track record with ICL's in regards to just how long they take has been pretty poor I will admit that. Hosting from Australia with a dodgy connection doesn't help with that fact anymore.

The "2am" thing Jes described was something I wanted to get rid of a little less so the only person that really had to suffer was ... well me. But thats fine if its a weekend. Thats why we went by continent this time round to hopefully at least get people in the same timezone to play one another.

However for those who enter the ICL Main Event, I guarantee something will go wrong. And In that regard, I'd probably advise agaisnt going in it Jes if its gonna put that much strain, as hard as that is to say because the numbers from EU are a lot less than I anticipated.

5/4/2015 1:18:26 PM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 210

Oh its actually nothing against you, Kastle. I appreciate you arranging the tournaments very much, I am just saying that scheduling with other players can be hard. I have been arranging a tournament myself, and it is really difficult to get people to play and so on.

Besides that. I am leaning towards joining. It is also fun to participate : ) I am just not sure yet.

Share This Using Popular Bookmarking Services