Suggestion:

5/20/2017 11:05:11 PM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 206

Suggestion:

I have been thinking for  while that the ranking should be reset about once a month, and there are a few reasons for that. 

Because ELO is really made for people who play people at a similar rating range, and that is not possible here, ratings can go kind of rampant. The ordering of the list is pretty accurate, but this does not foster competition. Even if someone gets better than our current rank 1 it takes a long time to gather that rating.

This point also stands because the extreme rating differences does not accurately reflect difference in skill between the best and the second best, but rather playing at a better level consistently over a long time. A monthly reset would make the rating more accurate as there isn't time for infinitygains. 

It clears the list from inactive players, and a lot of double accounts will be removed

It makes making double, tripple or quadrupple accounting less attractive (at least doing it to prove you can get all of them to top 20 or whatever), because you have less time to do so, and it will just be another month of the same grind.

Anyone have any comments or thoughts? Obviously it does have some downsides too, but in my opinion it is probably worth it, considering the problems it fixes

5/21/2017 4:35:20 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 25

Re: Suggestion:

Acutal strength Rank 1 (slickalei 1932)  =  strength sum: Franckow + Martin + Maserati + Iljain + Promouse  (2071)

absurdly!!!

5/21/2017 4:58:31 PM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 206

Yea that is kind of the point. Reason is that theres a minimum you can gain from an opponent and a max you can lose from an opponent, to make it possibly to play people that are a lot below you. Otherwise theres either nothing to gain, or you risk to lose a billion points from one loss. That wouldnt be fair of course, so stuff is done to prevent it. 

Still it means that if you are consistent and often play people that are at a level where they will pretty much never beat you, you can technically gain in infinity. This isnt a problem in for example chess(which also uses a form of ELO rating) where you only rarely play people far below your level, but here its gets out of hand. However, since it is kind of needed also to have min and max gains/loses, the only way i see to make it reasonable is to have regular resets, keeps you from just feeding for an eternity on 1 point gains.

5/21/2017 5:12:30 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 51

I agree it's a good idea. Maybe 1mo is too often maybe not.

But there are many great ideas on this forum that will probably just stay as ideas

Who would be in charge of the resets? Certainly Simon won't be adding it such that it is automated. I'm sure any of the mods could handle doing it manually if given the correct methods - but do the methods even exist in whatever manages the rank database? 

5/21/2017 5:30:03 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 156

Simon: Nah.

:^)

5/22/2017 7:08:04 AM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 206

Yea i dont know anything about the technicalities, but it is certainly not possible for the admins. Maybe the web-admin can do it, but he would definitely need Simons approval. I know that Simon is planning to release an update soon with a couple of bug fixes, and this should sort of be easy enough it might be possible to consider when hes already doing some stuff. 

Once a month is quite often, yes, but quit a bit of "bonus accumulation" will already have started at this point, but probably not enough that it takes forever to catch up to rank 1. Once every 2 months would be pretty sensible too though imo.

5/23/2017 7:54:30 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 51

Yeah once every 2 months or maybe 4 times per year would be cool (like seasons). Maybe an aggregate ranking could exist too. Lots of possibilities but doubt Simon will implement it. We can hope :p

I wonder what slicka thinks considering he's still the best ffa player regardless of ranks

5/26/2017 7:40:03 AM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 206

I honestly think he would probably enjoy it. Seems he's kind of bored with the game as it is, as there are no real challenges. This way he would actually have to keep on his toes. As it is now he can easily have a week where he plays shit, cause hes so far ahead noone will catch up anyway. And he would still be rank 1 at least most of the time, so it shouldnt hurt his ego too much either :)