Cultris II Units

10/20/2013 3:20:17 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 3

Cultris II Units

What are the units the game measures in?

In the advanced options we can change they DAS and Repeat Rate but what do those numbers mean?

Similarly is the speed in the game measured in terms of blocks per minute?

10/20/2013 12:35:58 PM
Jes
Gravatar
Total Posts 210

Re: Cultris II Units

The game speed is measured in blocks per minute, yes. 

I think the delay is measured in how many miliseconds it takes from when you press till it starts moving, and that the repeat speed is how many miliseconds you have to hold the button for the block to take each. However, i do not know at all if i am right, it is merely a guess.

10/20/2013 6:11:09 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 79

Well, in the game it's referred to "delay," not DAS, but it's the same idea.

DAS/Delay: When you hold down the "move left" button, it'll move once right away. Then, it will wait x milliseconds (DAS/delay). Then, it will start moving again (autorepeat). The smaller x is, the less time it will take to get to the autorepeat phase. Less DAS is faster, but more slippery. It's usually not worth the extra speed if it's causing you to misdrop.

Autorepeat: After the DAS phase is over, if you continue to hold down "move left," then the piece will move one column at a time until it hits the wall. The faster the autorepeat, the less delay there is between each column transition. The fastest setting instantly moves the piece from it's current position to the wall.

The units (numbers you see by the slider) don't refer to actual milliseconds of delay or anything like that. It's roughly a normalized scale of the range of selection the game allows you.

10/23/2013 9:40:47 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 3

"The units (numbers you see by the slider) don't refer to actual milliseconds of delay or anything like that. It's roughly a normalized scale of the range of selection the game allows you."

Ahh thanks, what I was looking for is exactly how long each value corresponds to in time. Obviously delay is proportional to time and Repeat Rate is inversely proportional but does anyone have the exact data on this?

10/25/2013 5:09:39 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 79

I would recommend recording yourself playing under different settings at high FPS using screen recording software. Then, watch it frame by frame. You should be able to reverse engineer it this way.

10/25/2013 9:47:20 AM
t0x
Gravatar
Total Posts 730

i remember having a chat with simon where he gave me those numbers:

TAP DELAY=0.003944444444*x*x/4-0.007722222222*x/2+0.05 (seconds)
REPEAT DELAY=0.0005*x*x/4-0.0145*x/2+0.1 (seconds)

its about 1-2 years ago, so i m not sure if it was changed or not.

10/25/2013 6:54:27 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 516

There must be something wrong with those formulas. Or the range is not 0 to 9.5.

Regarding TAP DELAY: It's minimum is at 2 and not at 0 as you might expect. If you insert 5, you get roughly 55 miliseconds. But in reality it's rather 100 miliseconds.

Regarding REPEAT DELAY: If you insert 9.5, you get roughly 42 miliseconds. But in reality it's rather 10 (or less) miliseconds.

10/25/2013 7:22:51 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 159

Caffeine and Integration, truly the leading experts of outrageous Tetris minutiae.

10/25/2013 9:37:58 PM
t0x
Gravatar
Total Posts 730

as i said, i m not too sure if these formulas are still uptodate.

i remember that we had 0-5 as options some while ago, maybe that would fit better?